Singapore is one of the leading international financial centers in the region. Incorporating a company in Singapore can provide a tax efficient corporate structure in order to conduct international business.
Singapore is a city state located at the southern tip of the Malaysian Peninsular with a population of approximately 4.8 million. It is known as one of the four ‘Asian Tigers’ and is the major center for business and trade within the region.
The official business language in Singapore is English but Mandarin and Malay are also widely spoken. The work force is well educated and hard working with a high level of expertise. Singapore is one of the leading international financial centers in the region and offshore investors will find most of the major banks present along with numerous financial institutions, investment management companies and accounting and legal firms.
The single ruling party since independence in 1965 is the people’s action party. the government effectively plans and manages the social and economic development of the country resulting in Singapore becoming one of the most politically stable and corruption free countries in the world.
In 2006 a study by KPMG rated Singapore as one of the most competitive business locations amongst industrialised countries in the world. The World Bank’s ‘Doing Business 2011′ study has also recently concluded that Singapore is the best country in which to run a business. The study rates 183 countries on the ease of which they allow firms to operate using criteria such as how easy it is to start a business, get credit etc.
There are various benefits attached to incorporating a Limited Liability Singapore company.
Some of these benefits are listed below:
- English is the official business language and therefore all company reports are produced in English and all information is available in English.
- Common law is in place.
- Singapore is a world leader in foreign trade and investment and has one of the best business environments in the Asia Pacific region.
- Singapore is the best country in which to run a business according to a recent world bank study and it has been named as having the most open economy for international trade and investment and least corrupt economy in the world.
- Singapore has one of the most highly developed and well-regulated financial centres in the world which has been built on the highest regulatory and prudential standards.
- The Singaporean tax system is straightforward and stable.
- There are no restrictions for foreigners to be shareholders or Directors of a Singapore company.
- The incorporation process for a Singapore company is quick and efficient.
- No minimum requirements for share capital.
- Only one Director and Shareholder is required to form a limited liability company.
- There is a concept of territorial taxation where foreign source trade profit is not subject to Singapore income tax if it is not repatriated in Singapore.
- There is no capital gains tax in Singapore.
- Foreign dividends are not subject to Singapore income tax.
- Tax credits for foreign tax paid are available in Singapore. However, they are is subject to some conditions.
- There are some partial income tax exemptions available in Singapore.
- There is no net worth tax in Singapore.
- Intensive double tax agreement system with more than 60 agreements signed and ratified with other countries.