Passport schemes: countries that allow foreign nationals to acquire citizenship through investment
There are many factors that influence an investor to obtain a second citizenship in another country. Aspects such as relocation, retirement, security or even long-term plans for future generations are all benefits and considerations in the prospectus for investment. Several countries now offer this option through different investment schemes.
Some available options:
- The Republic of Fiji, the island located in the South Pacific Ocean (northeast of New Zealand), allows permanent residency with the investment of USD $125,000 and citizenship after 5 years of living on the island.
- The Republic of Colombia, the beautiful Spanish speaking country in South America offers permanent residency with the investment of more than USD $150,000 in a property or USD $23,000 in a Colombian business.
- The Federative Republic of Brazil, the largest country in South America and one of the rising emerging economies in the world, offers a permanent residency visa for an investment of USD $160,000 either in a property or business.
- The Commonwealth of Dominica, this beautiful Caribbean destination offers citizenship for an investment of USD 200,000 in a property. Holding a passport from the island will allow you to travel to over 100 countries without requiring a visa.
- Continuing with the Caribbean, Saint Lucia, located in the eastern Caribbean Sea, northwest of Barbados, offers citizenship for the investment of at least USD $300,000 or USD $100,000 donation to the county’s sovereign wealth fund.
- Another Caribbean Island, Grenada, in the northeast of Venezuela, offers citizenship for an investment of at least USD $350,000 in residential real estate or a donation of USD $200,000 to the sovereign fund.
- The Republic of Panama, the Central American country offers a residence permit for an investment of at least USD $200,000.
- The archipelago of the Republic of Vanuatu, located in the South Pacific Ocean (north of Australia), allows citizenship for an investment of at least USD $200,000 or more and you can obtain a passport within two months.
- Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, located in the Southeast coast of the Persian Gulf, is the largest and most populous city in the UAE and allows permanent residency status with a minimum investment of USD $272,000 in a property or at least USD $20,000 in a business.
- The Hellenic Republic, Greece, this EU member country offers residency for an investment of at least USD $300,000 in a property and citizenship after 7 years of residing in Greece.
- Latvia, the Baltic state in Northern Europe offers a renewable 5 year term residence permits for investors who invest at least USD $327,000 in a property and citizenship after 10 years of residence in Latvia.
- Hungary as well offers a similar program as its Latvian counterpart, for an investment of USD $356,000 or more in residential real estate one is eligible for a residence permit and citizenship after 8 years of residing in the country.
- Sitting at the crossroads of Western Europe, Belgium offers foreign residential real estate investors to apply for a residence permit and are eligible for citizenship after 5 years of residing in the country.
- The Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis, in the West Indies, offers citizenship with an investment of at least USD $400,000.
- Between the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, Antigua and Barbuda offers citizenship for a minimum investment of USD $400,000.
- The Principality of Andorra, a landlocked microstate in southwestern Europe, offers a residency permit for a property investment of at least USD $475,000. However, the permit does not allow free movement within the EU and citizenship is granted only after 20 years.
- The archipelago of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas, offers permanent residency for a minimum investment of USD $500,000 and citizenship after 10 years.
- The United States, offers a Green Card for an investment through the EB-5 program, which requires an investment of at least USD $500,000 in a validated investment program through a Regional Centre.
- The Republic of Mauritius, in the Indian Ocean, offers a residency permit for an investment of at least USD $500,000 in a property and citizenship after only two years.
- Southeastern sovereign state in Europe, Montenegro, offers citizenship to investors that purchase property of a value of at least USD $595,000.
- Moving onto the north of Europe, the Republic of Ireland, will grant a residency permit or Stand 4 Visa to those who invest at least EUR $500,000 in Irish property, bonds or business and citizenship after 5 year of residency in the country.
- The Kingdom of Spain, offers access to the EU, through its residency program, for an investment of at least EUR 500,000 or more in a property and citizenship after 10 years of residence in Spain.
- Its counterpart and neighbor, the Republic of Portugal, offers residency for an investment of at least EUR $500,000 in Portuguese real estate and citizenship after 6 years of residence in Portugal.
- Under the same line, Bulgaria, offers a residency permit for the investment of at least EUR $500,000 in real estate and citizenship after 5 years of residence in the country.
- The Swiss Confederation or Switzerland, offers a residence permit for the investment of at least USD $1,000,000 in residential real estate or a business and citizenship after 12 years of residence in Switzerland.
- On the other hand, the Republic of Turkey offers residency for the purchase of a property of any value. However, citizenship will require the investment of USD $1,000,000 or more and commitment to live in the country for at least 3 years.
- Similarly, the Republic of Malta, offers citizenship for the investment of at least USD $1.1 million in a residential property in the island.
- The Principality of Monaco offers a residence permit for an investment of at least USD $1.2 million in property or bank deposit. Citizenship may be granted after 10 years of living in the country.
- The Italian Republic incentivises the restoration of historical pieces in Italy or the investment in property for public interest by offering a residence permit for the investment of at least USD $1.2 million.
- Last but not least, the Republic of Cyprus, offers citizenship for the investment of EUR €2 million in an investment real estate project, alternative investment fund, a Cypriot business or a combination of the aforementioned that may include EUR €500,000 in government bonds. Additionally, the acquisition of a property of a value of at least EUR € 500,000 must be realized to apply. There are programs for permanent and temporary residency as well that require lower amounts of investment.
Overall, the programs require investment in real estate, investments in other projects or donations may also be applicable. Reasons to go through these investment schemes will vary from investor to investor and undoubtedly each country offers different advantages. Knowing how to choose the most suitable location might be difficult and we recommend researching as much as possible to understand each program and its advantages.
At Eltoma Corporate Services, we can assist you with taking the right decision to satisfy your requirements. We look forward to assisting you further; you can always contact us or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or visiting one of our 4 office locations worldwide.