2015 Tax calendar
Estimated Chargeable Income
- Companies are required to furnish the ECI within three months after the end of their financial year end.
- Paper file by 30 Nov of each year
- e-File by 15 Dec of each year
- If not filed within the stipulated period, then IRAS will raise their own assessment based on prior year figures or based on their own estimate.
Individual Income Tax
- File online from 1 Mar 2015 to 18 Apr.
- Submit a paper return by 15 Apr.
- Payment of withholding tax must be made to IRAS by the 15th of the second month from the date of payment to the non-resident.
Goods and Services Tax
- GST returns and payment are due one month after the end of the accounting period covered by the return. If you are on GIRO plan for GST payment, deductions will be made on the 15th day of the month after the payment due date.
The Tier 1 Investor Visa: are the UK government checking candidates' source of wealth? Evidently not..
One of many legal disputes resulting from the recent infamous Kazakhstan BTA bank fraud case has shed new light on a little-known immigration scheme colloquially known as the golden visa scheme and officially called a Tier 1 Investor visa in the UK; the scheme grants investors residency in exchange for spending £2m in UK bonds or shares through a bank, with applicants eligible for to remain indefinitely, with full citizenship after five years.
EU release list of tax havens & blacklisted jurisdictions for the first time
In an attempt to recover the approximate 600B euros lost within various EU countries to tax evasion schemes each year; the European Union has released its first official blacklist naming 17 jurisdictions that have failed to meet international standards of implementing sufficient regulations and transparency measures.
A beginners guide to filing capital statements in Cyprus
This article details a beginners guide to capital statements; what to include in them, what the figures mean and how to understand and interpret them; avoiding common pitfalls many individuals experience along the way with filing their own.. Capital statements (also referred to as wealth statements) are similar to profit & loss sheets for a company except capital statements are typically used to measure and record an individual’s finances using an official document accumulated on differing dates.
The Cyprus Passport by Investment scheme: at who's expense?
Cyprus Minister of Finance Mr Harris Georgiades released a statement condemning critics of the Cyprus passport by investment programme that has seen raise over €4 billion since the launch of the scheme in 2013 which was implemented to attract foreign investment to mitigate damage in light of the banking crisis.
Cyprus Variable Capital Companies: AIFs
There are two types of Variable Capital Companies in Cyprus; UCITS and AIFS. Read on to find out more about Alternative Investment Funds.
Cyprus Variable Capital Companies: Open-Type UCITS
There are two types of VCCs in Cyprus; UCITS which we will discuss in the following article, and AIFS.
Protection of Nominee Directors from IRD claims for Cyprus client companies
Legislation re Cyprus Tax Residency:
Cyprus Company Law: Responsibility of Directors for the non-payment of taxes
A Company Director, in a company incorporated under the laws of the Republic of Cyprus, may be found liable by the Inland Revenue or Customs & Excise with regarding tax related issues. As per the legislation, the Inland Revenue or Customs & Excise may personally prosecute the Company Directors who are involved in any taxation offence(s) or related financial matters.